Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - Review

Great, so only a year until I can have more Sherlock. I now understand how addicts feel from getting a small fix after a long state of withdrawal.


So, the BBC has given us a small dose of Sherlock, which is a great way to kick off 2016. In many ways, it was everything that I hoped it would be, and it surprised me in many more ways. As usual, it certainly went in some unpredictable directions, and retained the same tone as the series so far.

It was tonally and visually different than most episodes, and not only because it takes place in the 1800s. Those clever transitions and edits that Sherlock does so well were all over the place, but done noticeably differently. As the episode goes on, it makes more sense why the episode looks and feels the way that it does, which I think was done pretty cleverly. I figured out the big twist relatively quickly, but I wasn't one hundred percent correct, which is usually how it works.

This episode was one of the most fun, mostly because this whole episode was just a playground. This episode does have an impact on the overall story, but it's more of a side story, a connecting piece between seasons 3 and 4. Because of that, there were some very fun reveals with characters in the 1800s, seeing the different positions that they're in, and the different relationships and interactions that exist. The chemistry between the cast was perfect as always, and those similarities and differences between the characters always kept the episode engaging.

The biggest surprise of the episode was the horror element. The Abominable Bride is essentially the villain of the story (not really, but we'll get to that later), and she actually had a pretty terrifying presence. There were many scenes that just unsettled me, and the atmosphere that was created for those scenes were flawless. The costumes, the architecture, the music; it was Sherlock, but it also wasn't quite. So when that fog is floating around and the creepy singing starts echoing, I curled up under the blanket more than I ever have at this series.

But the levity was there as well, with the usual funny interplay between Sherlock and John, as well as everyone else. The writing was great, and gave everyone some good quips and standout moments. The mystery was very well-executed, especially because of the literally mind-bending twists it takes. These twists are mostly out of left field, but once you can see what the episode is trying to do, it all fits.


Okay, I'm going into spoilers now. I'm assuming that you've seen the episode if you're reading this, because I don't know why you'd be interested otherwise.

So, the big twist is that the whole 1800s environment and mystery is a scenario that the Sherlock we know creates in his head, in an effort to figure out if Moriarty is still alive. So, the end of the episode jumps around between the past and the present a lot, making it kind of confusing about what the reality is. Sherlock is essentially driving himself mad under all of the scenarios, trying to prove that he's right, and the Moriarty that keeps appearing represents that doubt. And when John appears on Reichenbach Falls and kicks him over the edge, that's Sherlock's subconscious - and his link to humanity - overruling it.

The problem I found with the ending is, while I thought the writing was fun, it was just a bit too much. There was a layer or two too many for me, and it kind of felt like fanfiction (which this whole series pretty much is, but still). I probably wouldn't have walked away from it kind of disappointed if it wasn't so far up its own behind.

Also, how terrible was that shot of Sherlock falling down the Falls? They should have cut that.

But overall, I still really enjoyed this special. It was everything I love about Sherlock, and all of the small subtleties and references were perfectly integrated into the story. The mystery was unpredictable and unexpected, and led to a very exciting ending/setup for season 4.

I just don't want to wait any longer, because I love Sherlock so much, and this small taste has only made the fact that I have to wait another year for more all the more painful.

I mean, how do they think that's okay? Why do they think this is a good scheduling idea?


Comments